Thursday, February 24, 2011

More of a good thing...(Day 24)

...could be a really good thing! I know spring isn't really here yet. We live in New England, after all. I know the sunshine will eventually return and we'll have a beautiful, long summer of hikes and walks. I know there will be grilling and flowers. I know all of this, but I was so sad when it got cloudy today. I guess the little infusion of Vitamin D from yesterday wasn't enough to get me through a sun-less Thursday. Little Liam and I were both really sad about it today, but I know soon enough we'll be enjoying sunshine and wondering why it's so darn hot! :)

Today I am wondering what my life will look like after this Austerity Project. I have (mostly) enjoyed this month. I haven't had to worry about what I want at the house, and how our money will best be distributed. I've only had to think about fresh veggies for dinner, fruit for snacks, and hope I don't run out of anything really important! Don't get me wrong: I understand, if one had to live on such an extreme budget for awhile (which I know some people do!), it would be stressful. But having a month's break from buying things has just helped me take a break in my head, too. See, I constantly prioritize and re-prioritize the money we have, and find many ways a day to spend what we have. I start focusing on how little we can do, instead of how much we really do have. We pay our bills. We don't worry about if we're going to have a meal...just what we're going to have. We have a wonderful network of family and friends; farms and farmer's markets. We have a wonderful co-op that provides delicious food options that people in similar sized towns find astonishing. We are really rich. This is just one of the lessons I've been thinking about during this month, and it's one I really don't want to lose. In the case of sunshine, more is definitely better, but when it comes to filling my mind with wants, I can say that less is definitely more. I hope to be able to remember this as I step up my spending again--we really are ok, just with what we have. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment