Monday, February 21, 2011

Monday, Monday, Monday (Day 21)

Today really felt like a Monday. The Garfield-type Monday that wakes up and hits you over the head. Ok, it wasn't really that bad, but I was feeling restless and lonely today, and I think Liam felt the same. Also, with no shopping adventures over the weekend, it was time to get out and get a few things for our shelves. Since I don't have a car, I called in reinforcements: my Mom. Lucky for me, she's always up for an adventure. We hit the road and went down to BJ's, where I purchased more greens, and the aforementioned really cheap almond milk. Combined with the eggs my mom brought over, we have spent $9.19 so far this week. I have to head to Hannaford for some fruit soon, but $13.31 should get us some tasty morsels to finish out the month.

Once we were home, and I'd determined Liam was not going to finish the nap started in the car, I decided to try the recipe I'd really been looking forward to making: Stacked Veggie Quesadilla. It was in this month's Bon Appetit magazine, and looked SO delicious. It was. Just a couple of cook's notes:
1. DO NOT try to substitute corn tortillas for the flour tortillas in the recipe. It will not work well or taste as good. Even if you are on Day 21 of an Austerity Month and only have $13.31 left in your budget--GET OR MAKE flour tortillas. :)
2. They boast 30 minutes to make this delicious recipe. However, if you are using your own butternut squash that you have to chop up, and if you have a 10-month old that wants to be in on the cooking every 5 minutes, it will definitely take longer than that.
3. If, like me, you don't like cilantro, it's ok. It tastes great without it.
4. It says 4 servings. Justin and I finished it ourselves, no problem-o, and not even a thought of leftovers.

Oh, and I even managed to make some decent salsa to go with the quesadilla even though I'd never made any before. It was a great dinner experiment, all around (minus the corn tortillas). I am now looking forward to the quiet of the post-dinner and bedtime routines. I wish you all the same peace to end your Monday. Good Night!

1 comment: