Friday, February 11, 2011

Cabin Fever (Day 11)

I love winter. I mean, really, really love it. I get excited when it snows (even if it happens to be March or April). I can't shake that little-kid excitement when I look out the window and see snow on the road too high to drive through. I still make pancakes and hot chocolate on snow days. I've found a new love in snow shoeing, and I've always loved cross country skiing and making snow angels...But even I get a little bit stir crazy come this time every year. The same four walls just get old after awhile. And since I'm not spending money right now, envisioning different ways to utilize wall space gets old, too. Sooo...it was time to get out of the house. Fortunately for me, it was Friday, which is "lunch with my Dad" day. But since Liam's nap schedule got a little scroogy today, we had to eat lunch at home. However, after an awesome lunch with my Dad, we went to meet some lovely mamas and babies. We marked our getting out of the house occasion by making a wonderful coffeecake, courtesy of a great family friend. It may be just the thing to make your Saturday or Sunday morning delightful (it makes the house smell good, too!), and it's pretty inexpensive to make. Happy Baking! :)

French Coffee Cake (a.k.a. Celebration of Getting out of the House Cake!)

Ingredients A:

1 stick butter, softened (but not melted)
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. sour cream or plain yogurt
2 c. flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Ingredients B:

1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped nuts
1 t. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt or tube pan. In a large bowl, combine Ingredients A (it will be a good, slightly stiff, cake batter texture). In a medium bowl, combine Ingredients B. Add to Ingredients A, and mix just until combined. Pour (more like spoon) into pan. Bake for 45 min-1hr. Cool a few minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a cooking rack to finish cooling. Enjoy! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment