Saturday, February 5, 2011

Grocery Store Bananza! (Day 5)

Today it was time to tackle the grocery store. I was a little nervous, because I rarely stick to my grocery list. Usually I buy everything on the list AND...(whatever catches my eye inserted here). Today I had to stick to my list, or at least to my budget, but I also had to go. With friends coming over for brunch tomorrow, I really needed some fresh food reinforcements. So, I bundled up the babe, recruited my husband for a helping hand, and we headed to the grocery store armed with a $20 bill and a piece of plastic worth $10.

I realized yesterday that our budget this month of $62.50 (1/4 of our usual grocery budget) would be augmented by the fact that WIC gives us $10/ month for fresh fruits and veggies. Therefore, technically we will be spending $72.50 this month, but our contribution remains the same. :) It was actually a relief to realize I had a couple more dollars to spend. Looking at produce can be daunting!

We stopped at our local co-op first, where we chatted away 20 minutes with our neighbor, Hannah, and her little boy, Grayson, who is 3 days younger than Liam. She gave some helpful hints about what was on sale, and then we were on our way. She was curious what we could buy for $20...So, here it is: We managed to leave the co-op with one bunch of organic kale (almost 1 lb), 5 bananas, 4 organic apples, a blood orange, and 1/2 c of arborio rice for $8.46. Then on to Hannaford, where we scored big - naval oranges were on sale, so we got 10 for $3.49, a bunch of asparagus for $1.99 (thanks for the tip hannah!), 5 lb of onions for $2.99, then an avocado for $.79, and I splurged and got a mango for $.99! After grabbing a container of rolled oats for $2.99, we left Hannaford's for $13.30. Grand total: $21.76 ($11.76 of the $20, and all of the $10 WIC card). That leaves me $8.24, which will take me to BJ's Wholesale Club for an extra big tub of Olivia's Organics salad greens for $3.99 that will keep us in lovely salads for a week! I wasn't sure we could do it, but so far, so good!

Tonight we are eating leftover chicken soup, because after my busy day of snowshoeing (a new favorite!), grocery shopping, and getting ready for brunch, I am tired. AND because it's delicious. :) Getting ready for brunch has had it's own delicious scent: GRANOLA. I love it, but always was afraid of it being too complicated, and too expensive. With this easy recipe from Ina Garten, though, it is delicious, easy, and not very expensive:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/cherry-almond-and-cinnamon-granola-recipe/index.html

It's also really adaptable. I like to change around the fruit I put in it, and it always turns out fabulous! Happy Saturday!

4 comments:

  1. wow, I am impressed! A non-believer, converted! I'll let you know what is on sale this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, do you have this book
    Feeding the Whole Family: Cooking with Whole Foods . I love the granola recipe! It includes nut butter. I can copy it for you at some point!?

    http://www.amazon.com/Feeding-Whole-Family-Cooking-Foods/dp/157061525X

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://cookusinterruptus.com/index.php?video_id=80

    here is the mentioned granola recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah--I don't have that book, but I'll definitely look into it...thanks for the tip on the granola!

    ReplyDelete