Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Girl's Night Out (Day 9)

Once a week, I join some lovely ladies (my awesome nieces and sis-in-law) over on Sunny Acres for some dinner, conversation, and awesome TV (right now we're rocking through glee...and I have to say, I was opposed, but now I love it!!). We trade off cooking (ok, I pitch in once in awhile), and since she made an awesome roasted pork rib dinner last week, I thought it was fitting that I make something tonight.

I spent the greater part of this afternoon concocting Black Bean Chili with Butternut Squash. If you want a cheap way to feed a large group of people, this is an awesome, delicious way to go! I don't think anyone missed the meat with the possible exception of my hubby, but he was a good sport (yes, he joins us for dinner, then takes Liam home so I can have some girl time).

I did find out over the course of the afternoon that even if you don't follow the recipe exactly, it WILL come out delicious. I omitted the chipotle chiles in adobo (no idea where to find them in town even if I was spending money), and the coriander. I had just run out of canned fire-roasted tomatoes, so I had to improvise (just kidding--I've never seen those in a can!). It turns out that you CAN oven-roast frozen tomatoes. They take a little longer, and are a little mushier, but they are delicious, and perfect for a chili. Even after all that work, though, I had to use half crushed tomatoes, because I miscalculated how many to roast. I also used canned beans, instead of dried (I just used less water) and substituted quinoa for the quick-cooking bulgur. Everyone enjoyed it, and we have leftovers to enjoy the next few days.

Even vegetarian chili needs an accompaniment, and what is better than cornbread? I used this easy and delicious recipe from my friend Leah. Her mom is an amazing cook--I don't think I've ever eaten anything less than super delicious at her house, and this cornbread was no exception. In fact, I ate way too much of it at dinner.

This dinner, along with a couple episodes of glee: season 1, made tonight delightful, and kept austerity looking pretty good! Good Night!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh that chili looks really good...and I have some butternut squash to use! :) Thanks Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!

    Hannaford has canned chipotles in adobo...in the "Mexican" aisle. They're not terribly expensive, but you're right, probably not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had it for dinner tonight and LOVED it! I just wanted to keep eating it and keep eating it. :) Thanks for this awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete